Monday 20 April 2009

Everything post Koh Chang

We were back since Thursday but I haven't been able to access Blogger till today. I suspect it was blocked as it had been done before. We were in BKK the day after the red shirts captured a tank and paraded down the streets of downtown BKK and we had spent the day before our departure catching news on TV and monitoring the situation in BKK. Somehow I felt that the chaos in Thailand was magnified. Even though the protests have been ongoing for years now (switching from yellow to red) and the tourism industry had been badly impacted, the constant chaos has yet to endanger the general public. In fact, if you look at the death numbers and their cause of death, it aint't really due to clashes. Like I sms-ed my folks back at home, I hadnt seen anyone in red when I was in BKK though there were indeed differences travelling to BKK this time round. Streets for once were not jam-packed (which could also be due to city dwellers travelling out of the capital during the Songkran holiday). The shopping area from Siam world all the way to MBK was closed and we ended up heading to The Emporium at Phrom Phong Station which was a pleasant surprise.

We settled at Citadines 16 which I am recommending to anyone who's planning to make a trip to BKK. It's the best value for money accomodation I have stayed in BKK so far. It even comes with a complete kitchen! My high-so MM would luuurrrvvve this place.




Early next morning, we spent 5.5 hours on a supposedly 1st class bus to Ao Thammachat Pier, Trat, Eastern Thailand. Seriously, even P was complaining. When we went to Koh Chang few years back, we took a minivan from Khao San. The trip was shorter. This supposedly 1st class bus made stops and it is nothing like Aerobus. On our way back, we actually sat at the last few rows and the stench from the toilet kept me awake. I seriously cannot understand why they even bother to install toilet facilities and not upkeep them.

We checked into a nice, new resort and to my dismay, we were arranged a room not having seaview but facing this newly dug water body (hole). ARGH. And the resort didnt have its private stretch of beach. Other than these, the place is almost perfect. We spent 2 days on the beach and ended up looking very badly burnt. P and I are now looking like 2 nicely bbq-ed chickens. This is the worst tan I have had so far and I am looking at least 3 shades darker than before. As of yesterday, we were both peeling.

It had been 4 years since our last trip to Koh Chang. Like most places in Thailand, tourism and commercialization simply ruin everything. Accomodation of all kinds sprouted in Koh Chang. Few years ago, we managed to stay on the busiest stretch of beach on the island (still with minimal tourists), enjoyed the sun, travelled around the island etc. Seriously, you wouldn't want to step out of your resort now. Though the beaches are well-kept, the streets are kinda filthy and waste management is a serious problem. Seriously, I don't think I am going back to Koh Chang again.

On a separate note, P showed me this vid when we got back home. Check out this link if you havent heard of Susan Boyle. I was expecting a good laugh but man, I was moved. It would be exaggerating to say this but she must have in some way changed my eagerness to judge.

No comments: