Tuesday 9 September 2008

Why not Bukit Timah, Holland Road or Namly Road?

CNA: 80 parents turn up for first matchmaking session

"... The usually quiet Hong Lim Park was bustling with activity, as over 80 eager parents turned up for the matchmaking party.

They may be camera-shy, but when it comes to finding a spouse for their child, they are anything but coy.

One parent said: "A girl normally is very shy, and more cautious than a boy. And so the parents should make the first move and you know, nudge her along."

When asked whether their daughter knew of their presence there, another parent said: "I told her, and she didn't react, just gave her silent consent."

So it's the daughters, it seems, who need help the most."

I SPOTTED MY MUM IN THE CROWD!!!

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Joking la!

If MM still can't make up her mind in 2-3 years time , I believe my parents will join the queue at Hong Lim Park.
_____

I read in the papers about the big fuss made over the proposed conversion of unused (State) properties into quarters for foreign workers. I can imagine what's happening in my old office. My ex-boss must be running in and out of his office and giving instructions at the top of his voice.

There must be quite a number of unused State properties around and I am not sure what's the rationale behind choosing one that's located in a supposedly middle-class estate. It looked like there were miscalculations in the decision making chain. Anyway, I thought the residents kinda overreacted. I mean sure, there are security concerns but when people started the “Why not Bukit Timah, Holland Road or Namly Road?” thingy, it just got irritating.

Social issues aside, I doubt these people know the difference in land value counts. It makes no economic sense at all for the government to designate any areas in the prime districts for workers' dormitory. And, it does take someone really stupid to bid for a State property in District 9 (that is going to cost him a bomb) then use it to house foreign workers.

The “Why not Bukit Timah, Holland Road or Namly Road?” thingy is nonsensical and is an invalid arguement. I don't remember residents in Boon Lay launching such a vehement attack and making such a big fuss. If the reports are true, that Serangoon Gardens is a middle-class estate, then it is time for the middle-class to learn something from the working class.


Power, pride and prejudice


Is it a Serangoon Gardens problem or SG insularity symptom?

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

my friends are of a certain standard one ok. =P

yttun said...

O.O
Can't believe you said tt!!!
T__T
Then you give me lower standard ones k? LOL