Wednesday 10 September 2008

The first Thai food strike off Mdm's list

We managed to catch Mama Mia yesterday and it was quite a disappointment. We haven't been to the movies in weeks and I thought we needed something better (though I don't mind having more of Pierce Brosnan). Anyway, P was like sitting on needles. When they were doing the last "Mama Mia", I turned around and told him, "ok, it's the last song". But I was wrong. They just kept going on and on. It felt like a 180-minute movie. And surprisingly, when the credits came out (and Meryl Streep was still singing), no one stood up to leave.

By the way, Pierce Brosnan looked really good in the movie. I was just thinking to myself, how lucky it is if your dad/husband/son/any male being in the family is that good looking. Can you imagine how proud his daughter is when she show him off to her friends at school?

We had Nam Tok at some local food stall. FYI, Nam Tok looks like this



I was introduced to this dish when I first visited Chiangmai but I didn't really like the look and smell of it. Sometime back, I started eating Nam Tok and there are days now that I actually want to eat it quite badly. Anyway, I never knew what was added into the soup. And then one fine day, I saw with my own pair of lasik eyes that raw pig blood was the source of the brown chalky colour. I tried to resist my temptation for this dish since my big discovery but I succumbed to temptation yesterday. We sat by one of the road side stalls and were waiting for our food when P took a sip of water and complained that the water tasted weird. He then went on to convince me that it's not really hygienic to get food from road side stalls. The final straw came when he mentioned that we were actually having yummy noodles right next to a cemetery, which is strangely located next to a rather busy road. That stall serves one of the best Nam Tok around but I don't think I will ever dine there again.

And then today, while trying to comfort myself that it is still okay to eat Nam Tok as long as it's from a clean stall, I found this article

Say No to 'nam tok'

1 comment:

Gourmet Hound said...

It actually looks really good. Makes me hungry.