Friday 18 April 2008

Water madness!

It's over.

The streets were jam-packed and I guess if the festival was to last for a week the streets of Chiangmai is going to flood!!! By the way, it is so super duper hot here now that I am developing very bad rashes. My precious skin is too delicate for this tough weather. LOL.

My folks arrived on Monday evening and we had dinner with P's family. On the following day, we stayed in town and went to Wat Phra Singh for the Buddha showering, had a tour at my university and P's workplace then headed off to the hotspring. We got a room for a hot bath even in this crazy hot weather. In the afternoon, we were caught in 2 2-hour traffic jams in town. The Thais had congregated around the moat and we were driving around town to watch the water splashing fun from our car. It was actually quite interesting people watching from inside. People on the streets were super high and they were drinking and dancing while getting wet. Dad was obviously very excited and exclaimed profusely.







Our plan to Chiangrai, Mae Sai and Golden Triangle was fulfilled on Tuesday. We took a 5-hour car ride with multiple stops. First was at this ridiculous hot spring beside a newly built Wat that wasnt opened to the public yet.





Next stop was at this super magnificent white temple that was being constructed by a famous Thai artist. Although parts of the compound were still undergoing construction, the place was packed with tourists. Check out the fusion of surrealism with Thai art, it's pretty cool.






We reached Chiangrai at 2 and checked into our hotel. After a tour around Chiangrai city (which was as good as dead) we decided to move on to Mae Sai. Although we didnt really use the hotel (except for the quick shower my Dad took), the hotel refused to let us check out without paying and we had to fork out 1000 baht for cancellation. So we paid and off we went! On our way we stopped at Doi Tung and visited the King's Mum's holiday home in Chiangrai. Check out the pics and my clothes! Apparrently I wasnt properly attired to enter the Royal's compound. ARRRGGGHHH.





The trip from Doi Tung to Mae Sai was ultra eventful. Half way, there was a huge storm and we had to stop cos visibility was really poor. When the storm did pass, electricity was off for the whole town and we had a hard time driving around looking for accomodation for the night. We settled for a really cheap place (600 baht per night) and went hunting for dinner at 7.

The following morning, we drove to Golden Triangle. My folks were pretty excited about the boat ride along Mekong River at the Golden Triangle. The boat took us to Laos where we stopped over at a local market. We were back at Mae Sai in the late morning and we walked over to Myanmar. We spent about 2-3 hours at the Tachilek Market at Myanmar and bought lotsa stuff (clothes, food etc.). 3 countries in a day! Cool or what. In the afternoon we headed back to Chiangmai with occassional stops at fruit stalls where my folks bought lots.











We went to Warorot market at the back of the house on Thursday morning. My folks obviously enjoyed the walk in Chiangmai's largest market. We spent like 3 hours and they bought lotsa goodies. We headed to the plaza in the afternoon for another round of quick buy before having farewell dinner with P's family in a traditional Thai restaurant.



And then it was the send-off at the airport this morning. It wasnt uber teary and all although I knew that my mum didnt want to look right at my face before she turned and walked towards the gates. I was glad she didnt cos I cant bear it either. Most of the time they were back facing me and I really hoped they understood that it was tough for me too. Although they made me had fits in this week and I had as usual display my sucky attitude at them, I still miss them lots and want to spend as much time with them as possible.

Ciao and see everyone back home in July!

No comments: