Thursday 13 December 2007

Classmates

I've never been on time for class since we started Thai 3. I'm kindda getting lazy and driving out of the house is a big hassle. And ever since P's lao kok kok car broke down, it needs 3 minutes of warming up before we can drive it out without it failing us. So ever since day one, I've seated myself next the rear door in class so that I do not sashay into class and disrupt everyone while arriving 15 minutes late. And for Thai 3, I have planted myself next to Tachibana, this very Jap looking Jap man in his mid-60s.

More than half of the class is filled with Koreans, with the rest being 3 Japanese, this guy from Luxembourg and then there's me. The Koreans can hardly speak English and there's really no easy way to communicate with them. The class is conducted in Eng-Th and most of them seem to have difficulty understanding both languages. And most of them are housewives here accompanying their kids to study in the international school cos apparently, the teachers are native English speakers and they want their kids to immerse in an English speaking environment. Almost half the school is filled with Koreans. Ironic or wat.

Tachibana is a quiet Jap man and every time he opens his mouth to speak, Thai comes out. He never converse in Eng, only mumbles in Jap when he tries to get his thoughts straightened out. Just yesterday, he was telling me that he would be going to miss class for 2 weeks cos he's going on a fishing trip with his friends in Vietnam. The whole converstion was conducted in Thai. T_T. I almost wanted to laugh cos we looked funny. Every time he tried to put something across, I would verify it by repeating in Eng hoping that I'd not misunderstood him. Nonetheless, it's quite impressive. I wonder if my dad will have the will power to do that when he's at Tachibana's age. Not sure if this is like a spirit typical in Japanese or wat, it's rather awesome.

I'm (still) quite impatient in the learning of Thai and really want to be able to converse properly in it!! =.=''. It's getting me crazy cos of the tonations. I have been taught that there're 4 tones in Chinese and now there are 5 tones in Thai. It gets so confusing some times. Just the other day, I was talking to nanny about seeing a rat in the toilet.

"Horng naam mee nguu"

She was like super stunned and asked how long was that. I went... "Oh, about the size of a kitten". She looked at me, super confused. Anywayz, she heard snake (nguu). Not rat (nuu). I want to cry.

No comments: