Sunday 5 December 2010

What we see

I have finally started the last activity for my Bangladesh trip this morning. My 3-day workshop will end on Tuesday and on Wednesday morning, I will be heading home!!! This feels like a really long trip .

I met a couple of Afghans at the workshop, and a young American lady who has been working in Afghanistan for the past year. Over lunch, they were describing the weather, the mountains and the many things that you would not have imagined if you hadn't spoken to someone coming from Afghanistan. And I recalled what Juma, an Afghan I met during my training in Bangkok, told me about his country. He said security is an issue, but certainly not that much of an issue, especially in Kabul. He then invited me to Afghanistan. I mean, I am not sure about most people, but I would not have dreamt about visiting Afghanistan. But after the many conversations I shared, I am not so sure. Has the situation been dramatised by what we are watching on the TV and in the theatres? How much of what we see have been politicalised? The situation in Bangkok was a very good example of how the government had manipulatively disseminate information by broadcasting only what they want us to see and how the mainstream media can be controlled to dramatise the situation so as to cast the opposition in bad light.

Sometimes, what we see may not be real.
Sometimes, what we see may only be half of the truth.

No comments: