Thursday 1 October 2009

Random bits, Thursday Greys, yummy Thai food and CHIANGMAI!

I have been yawning for the umpteen times today. P and I were actually up till 1.30 am yesterday. He was all focused watching Man vs Wild (which was so not my cup of tea. I cannot and will never be able to understand his joy in watching Bear Grylls stranded in the wild, feeding on the insides of a camel and drinking pee to keep himself hydrated. I mean, hello??? Survivor skills are essential but these scenarios are wayyy too over) and I was busy plocking (plocking? yes, plocking. check this out if you are on FB: http://apps.facebook.com/theplock/. WARNING: very addictive!)

Anyway, Friday is arriving in less than 9 hours. In fact, my Friday will be here at 4.30 pm. I wonder if anyone has ever named Thursday (like say Thursday Greys or something). IMO, Thursdays are usually the longest and most unbearable day of the week. I actually hate getting up on Thursday mornings.

We went to make our monthly payment yesterday and were happy to see the piling machine on our plot, with some pre-cast concrete scattered in one corner. I suspect something's going to happen very soon. I actually have this crazy idea of burying something in the ground before the piling works begin. It will definitely bring back pleasant memories (say 10-20 years later, we decide to pull down the house to build a new one and uncover this piece from the past). Sounds like Knowing? Maybe I did get my inspiration from Nicholas Cage.

C's on leave till next Monday, so that leaves me in solitude. Martha was here in the morning and she asked if I felt lonely. In fact, I actually treasure this. I know this sounds kinda weird, but sometimes I crave for personal space (both at work and home).

Since moving here and living like a true blue Thai, I realized how under rated Thai food is. I know I know, tonnes of people out there actually lovvveee Thai food, but do you know that there is more to Thai food than Tom Yum Goong and Tod Man Pla (Thai Fish Cakes)? I was having the most delicious Tub Tim Krob (in Singapore we call it "Red Ruby", other parts of the world, probably just "Water Chestnuts in Coconut Milk") when I have a sudden urge to start a food (Thai food, especially Northern Thai food) blog. I am not sure how many people out there are actually familiar with Northern Thai food but I find it super duper yummy.

Chiangmai is definitely not a top tourist destination for most Singaporeans (in fact, I suspect 50% of Singaporeans have not heard of Chiangmai) but hey, Thailand is definitely not all about the cheap stuff you get in JJ market, Bangkok or the white sandy beaches in Krabi! It's always hard for me to describe what we have here in Chiangmai (and I never fail to presume that Singaporeans will never appreciate the slow pace, backward lifestyle here in the first place). Perhaps I should do a bit of marketing for my (unoffical) adopted country

No comments: