Friday 18 September 2009

Back to the basics

Living in this part of the world means getting myself exposed to beliefs of a largely Buddhism centered society. I have heard so much "dos and don'ts", "should and shouldn't" that supposedly were practices influenced by religious beliefs and I sometimes wonder how much of these are in fact true to Buddhist teachings. In fact, I feel that Buddhism may very well be the one religion that has been most skewed under the influence of cultural practices.

Few days ago, Mdm picked up "Buddhism: Introducing the Buddhist Experience" and "Christianity and Buddhism" from the school library. These probably are enough to keep me very occupied over the weekend. I am not sure if I am ever going to be a staunch practitioner of any religion but for the time being, I guess I would just like to grab some good reads and explore the fundamentals of various faiths.

No comments: