Friday 1 May 2009

Philanthropy in Singapore

Mdm has almost forgotten the after thoughts I had after the trip to Bangkok on Tuesday. It seems to me that good things never stay long enough in the head.

Anyway, I am here writing my blog in the office (after office hours), a day before I am flying back to Singapore (stuff yet to be packed). I am usually quite anxious about trips (packing stuff few days beforehand, shopping for thai goodies etc.) but I have somehow lost that anxiety since my trip to Koh Chang few weeks back. Nevermind. I will see my folks tomorrow, then my sis and dear baby on Sunday! (Not forgetting my friends and beloved couz).

I think I have mentioned before that in my line of work I have managed to meet people who are passionate about education (in terms of knowledge, ethics etc., though not all are) and who are contributing to the society and in a broader sense, changing Thailand. On my work trip to Bangkok, we met the Chairman of the Center of Philanthropy and Civil Society (CPSS) and the founder of the Care for HIV Foundation. Both ladies are amazing. They talk passionately about their work, which very much involve strengthening the Thai society. It is my time here in Thailand that had me discovered where my interest lies, not so much about strengthening the Thai society per se, but empowering the underprivileged.

P and I discussed about these quite a bit. We tried to start from doing the least we can, e.g donating stuff regularly to the Lahus hilltribe group (through a friend of mine). We have recently also discussed about the possibility of adopting bbs. It's sad to realize how much the privileged us can do but how little we have done. Philanthropy in Singapore is limited to monkey shows on T.V. (then realizing then the money earned had gone into sponsoring golden taps and extravagant stays in St. Regis). Helping others in S.E.A./globally remains something that is lacking nationwide emphasis and I gotta say that many of us still lack selflessness.

No comments: