Monday 27 April 2009

Of having pets

Nieces got a hamster home the week after Songkran. Barely after a week (Sunday morning), the hamster was found dead in its cage. Apparently the heat was so unbearable that it killed the hamster. When we got up in the late morning, nieces were back from a trip to the pet shop. They got ANOTHER hamster.

I used to not like hamster. It reminded me too much of rats. After I got Cocoa (my dead poky monster), I have mysteriously developed an anti-fear towards rodents. This new hamster they got home is super duper cute. Seriously, you can spend an hour just watching it. The way it moves around its cage, running on the wheel, nibbling its food etc. So if you are thinking of getting a pet and is too lazy to care for a dog, why not a hamster. Hamster is way cuter than fish (which is I think highly uninteresting and with low level of pet-owner interaction), smells better than turtles and require little attention. When we are on our own, I would very much like to have dog(s) and some small animals in the house (rabbits/hamsters/chinchillas)!

My mum never approved of animals at home but I brought Del back anyhow. Seriously, I think having pets is a good training for kids. The nieces at home for example are spending way too much time on computers (and they are just 12!). Pets can very well be a good form of distraction.

No comments: