Monday 2 March 2009

Of my extended family

Mdm spent 6 physically draining days back in Singapore, sleeping less than 12 hours for the last 3 nights. At 8 plus yesterday night, I collapsed on the bed and finally managed to have some quality rest.

The last time our family grieved was probably 10 odd years ago, when my granny passed away unexpectedly. My aunt's passing on was kinda different. She was sick for a long time and we probably see it coming but didn't expect it to be so soon. At 49, she was the youngest in the family and with family traditions and superstitions at play, her elder siblings couldn't participate in the rituals and processions. The responsibilities kinda fell onto the shoulders of Generation X. Somehow, the transfer of duties and getting yourself heard in a family dominated by decision makers made me felt for once like a grown-up.

Spending time intensively with my extended family reminded me of the times when my grandparents were still around. My cousins and I are all grown ups now, with more than half married and the youngest 2 enlisting for NS next year, and I am grateful that we continue to share close ties. Growing up in a huge family, I wouldn't say it is easy but sure it's filled with lotsa laughters. I love to think that I have lotsa sisters and brothers, who are willing to share and to love, cherish our r/s and are always there for one another.

3 comments:

yttun said...

Yeah The Chongs Rock! ^^

yttun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vanessa said...

Mr Ng will be angry ok