Monday 3 November 2008

Living on our own

P and I were at this development project yesterday afternoon. One of our friends is launching her project soon and would like to check the sale price of her competitors. So there we were, posing as potential buyers. At the end of that, I told P that I really liked one of the houses we saw and my hubby actually told me that if we were really keen, we could reconsider our plan to buy a house in Sg and get our own little nest in Thailand. Frankly, the two purchases wouldn't be at conflict at all and we wouldn't have any problem coming up with the downpayment for the Thai house. At 3 million baht, the house is a really good deal (both in Sg and Th terms) and considering that the flat we are getting in Sg is merely 3-room, the 2 properties would add up to cost less than a 4-room flat in Sg. The affordability is manageable.

Anyway, it was very sweet and nice of him. Something popped up in my head and I was concerned to be the first couple in their family to (have the intention) move out of his dad's property. I doubt his siblings, who are way older than us, ever have this on their mind. P thought his dad should see that coming since eventually we would be having our own kids and having the whole extended family staying under one roof simply makes things get out of hand a little. Frankly, I didn't have any issues over the past year (and language barrier has been the perfect reason for me to coup up in the room as much as I like on days that I feel anti-social but then again, I swear I have been as sociable as I could. Seriously, who wouldn't want to remove the mask and take a good break and rest after a long day at work). Although we have been living under the same roof with his sis, 2 nieces and nanny, we very much seem to live on our own. And to be fair, P and I have been nice people to live with over the past year. We clean our own dishes (and others), do not leave shit for others, share everything possible, etc. The only problem might be our anti-social behaviour at times (i.e. couping up in our room after dinner).

The thought of moving out on our own flashes in my mind once in a while but we rarely sit down to discuss about this seriously. First, there isn't the need cos like I mentioned umpteen times before, Plan B is still an unplanned plan. Secondly, I don't really want P to be all stressed out. But then again, after yesterday, I realized that he actually would like to move out as much as I do. When you weigh the pros and cons of moving out on our own, it really wouldn't be difficult for anyone to see how the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros
Not getting awaken by Beethoven wannabes at 7am in the morning, not feeling like a lazy bum when I get up late on weekends, not having to open the fridge and be greeted by overflowing food (and junk), not having to clean up the shit after the kids and their not so smart dad (which totally pisses P off cos the exposed food attracts rats), not having to obligatorily eats dinner with the rest of the family when we feel like munching in front of the TV, having a room ready for my folks and save them from all the awkwardness when they visit.

Cons
Having to pay for everything (from house loan to utilities), i.e. money, money, money.

And after our visit yesterday, I think the pros list just keeps getting longer and longer.

No comments: