Monday 14 July 2008

Mdm's on home ground

I have been home since Sunday!!!

The trip from Chiangmai to my granny's took a total of 4.5 hours. We had some scares on our CNX-KL flight and some passengers were actually screaming. For the first time, I was actually sweating my palms on a plane ride. The plane managed to land ahead of schedule and the customs clearance was very smooth. There were like less than 20 foreigners on my flight and the queue took us barely 5 minutes. I recommend everyone who is getting a cab from KLIA or the LCCT to get a taxi voucher from the counter cos the touts are definitely over charging. Our ride to Melaka was unexpectedly smooth. Our driver was driving at an average speed of 70-80 km/h which is very slow in Malaysians' standard. He scratched and moved his Songkok every 5 minutes and I realized that he was doing that to keep himself awake!!!

I had an enjoyable time at granny's, filling my stomach with good food and eating the best tasting durian I have eaten since leaving for Thailand last August. We left Melaka at 1 plus and managed to return to Sg for baby Daryl's popiah party at 5 past. It's nice catching up with some old friends and see how much baby Daryl has grown in a span of 5 months. Kids are just so amazing. The next time I return, he would be walking and gibbering.

Dinner was at the acclaimed Botak Jones and I couldn't believe that the meal for 5 at a local Kopitiam costed 90 bucks!!! This Kopitiam near my house used to be so empty and now, it's filled to the brim. Almost 90% of the customers are Botak Jone's. That Botak Jones must be earning big bucks! The food was above average but for a Kopitiam meal, I will think twice about eating there again. Seriously.

And this morning, we went to the Thai embassy for my visa extension and had a terrible experience. I guess most of the people there were fuming but had to suppress their emotions cos nobody wanna risk not getting their visa approved. I still can't believe this kinda service exists in Sg! Someone should do something to the staff at the embassy. The shitty attitude is way too much for anyone to handle.

We spent 3 hours shopping around Orchard area after handing in my visa application. Wisma had so much change in tenancy and I was so sad that it looked very unfamiliar!!! That underpass through ION is now in operation. Using it as oppose to the usual escalator seems so strange. Actually, everything unfamiliar just seems strange!

Anyways, we had a great time shopping. Well, at least for me. P was complaining about having leg sores when we were on our way to NUS to meet my Prof from my aki days. I had a very fruitful discussion with him about some possible collaborations at work. Somehow, I felt stupid after my conversation with him. Well...

Tomorrow, I will be meeting my ex-colleagues! =))

No comments: