Tuesday 24 June 2008

Mdm's first worship and encounter with farangs that speak Thai

Introducing my latest toy


I know it's only 1 kg and I hope it's enough for me to work on my triceps. We actually bought a pair and I tried lifting both using one hand but it's really too much.

We went to this hypermarket yesterday to get some stuff that P needed at work. And then right at 6 the national anthem was played. I have been here for almost a year and have gotten quite used to this daily standstill but this time, I managed to snap a picture!


p/s: MM, this lady in red looks like someone we know right? =P

It still amuses me sometimes when everyone freezes when the national anthem is played. When I was on the morning flight travelling to BKK, the national anthem was playing on the television in the boarding gate and the Thais darted out of their seats almost instantaneously.

Just this morning, the university had a formal retirement ceremony for my mentor. The ladies in our department decided to get her a bouquet of flowers and Mdm had volunteered myself since there are a couple of flower shops at the back of our house. P and I walked to the back of the house and got a really nice and big bouquet yesterday night:



And it's only 400 baht!!! That's less than S$20. I guess the cost would have easily doubled or even tripled in Sg. I guess guys who are tight on budget can plan a surprise for your other half with a nice and big bouquet of flowers while holidaying here in Thailand (come to think of it, people who are tight on budget wouldnt even be travelling).

I don't remember if I have ever mentioned that PYU is a Christian Univerisity. In fact, the predecessor of PYU was the Thailand Theological Seminary which was later integrated into the University as the McGilvary College of Divinity. This is probably the reason why there are many foreigners here in PYU who had first come as missionaries and later stayed on to serve the school. This morning, I attended my first worship in the school chapel and witnessed the most amazing thing ever. A close friend of my mentor was addressing the audience in Thai.

A farang speaking in fluent Thai.
A farang making jokes in Thai.

And the next minute, you realised that most of the farangs around were not wearing their earphones. They didn't need the translators cos they could ALL understand Thai!

By the way, attending worship for the first time was a very undescribable experience. For some unknown reason, I kept having goosebumps.

1 comment:

yttun said...

lol.
hao xiang!
=D