Friday 1 February 2008

Merlion... ROARRRR

The whole funeral thingy was wrapped up yesterday afternoon. Emotions aside, the ceremony was an eye-opener. And few days on, I guess I have learnt to deal with situations like this, ie get your feet moving and butt off the chair. On-off, P will turn to me and say "pretending to be busy again?". Yup. Either you're truly busy, or you're busying yourself trying to look busy (cos there aint anything for you to do). Picking up rubbish, arranging chairs etc. As for now, I get to sit back, take a long deep breath and countdown to my trip back to Sg!!!

I was arranging meet-ups and I realised that one week is not enough!!! Sob. Man, I want to shop, sing K, shop, sing K, shop, sing K, shop, sing K and club (and yups, meet up with friends and spend time with my family)!!! It's really a very tight schedule and part of me want to spend every evening having dinner with my folks. But with most if not all of my friends working, guess it's hardly possible not to arrange meet-ups over dinner.

Just some weeks ago, I met up with some really nice people from a local Uni. And after 3 rounds of interviews, I was informed yesterday that I am officially part of Payap!!! Yea~. From 3rd March onwards, Mdm is no longer a TTT . I cant wait to shed that label!!!

Payap is like the second biggest Uni in Chiangmai. Though not the best in the region, it appeals more to me than CMU. CMU is very local while Payap has an increasing pool of international students and staff. The feeling is kindda like NUS vs SMU. I'll be with the Faculty for International and Graduate Studies and what's extremely pleasing is staff in the entire fac speaks english!!!

My direct boss is an American Thai who was with the US Marine. So, I'll be working with him and the ex-VP of the Uni who is this American lady who has retired but is volunteering her time to lead the team. I had met the President of the Uni at my 3rd interview and guess what, he speaks mandarin!!! How interesting is that (plus he shares my surname). These people appear to be so friendly, down-to-earth and extremely nice and humble. Cant really expect big shots from NUS (not even the Dean of a fac) to sit down and share jokes with you the way they did.

Anywayz, back to topic. I am engaged as a Fundraiser. Not those who carry coin tins around but I'll be doing lotsa research work on fund sourcing and expenditure reduction. Plus some PR work, ie meeting people and setting them up with the President. The job description sounded interesting and I hope it does turn out to be so. The Personnel Office is also looking at arranging for me to teach as an adjunct. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that my new job will turn out well. Suddenly, I aint feeling like I'm just any mediocre white-collar worker.

I am so looking forward to home and starting my new job.

No comments: