Monday 27 August 2012

To the bun in the oven: See you when you are ready

This morning, 2 colleagues, one after another, walked past my office then turned around and popped their heads in: "No baby yet?"

No, I laughed. I wish I know when exactly he'll be here with us. At 37 weeks pregnant, Utt is now considered full term (even though the due date is three weeks away). If I go into labor anytime now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. As the pregnancy draws closer to the end, Mama-to-be gets more anxious to know how much longer the pregnancy will last. A week? Two? Three? Or even four? I've read about how 40 weeks is the average and supposedly when the baby is most ready to be introduced into the world. But seriously, the wait is killing me. Right now, "waiting" is one key word that just about sums up my life. Waiting for Utt's arrival and holding him in my arms, waiting for the bump to disappear, waiting for the long awaited maternity leave to begin, waiting for the sharp pains, mild contractions, etc. to be gone, waiting for the real contractions to arrive to get my endurance tested. But the wait is also filled with contradictory feelings of fear (as I have mentioned umpteen times before). And also fear that Utt's physically not prepared. This is perhaps the strangest part of being pregnant.

Dear Utt,

Although Mama is anxious to see you in person, Mama still wishes the best for you. On some days, Mama gets worried that if you arrive too early, you may not be ready for what awaits you out here. So little man, we'll meet when you are ready. See you when you feel that Mama's uterus is not enough for you anymore and you would like to take a peek at the real world. Mama cannot promise you that the real world is filled with fun, but your world with us will at least be filled with love. We will try our very best to make sure that you have love in abundance.

Till then,

Mama
 

No comments: