Sunday 8 July 2012

My Papa

Today marks a very special day. My Papa is 64 today. This day, he is also enjoying his first day as a retiree. I called home in the afternoon to make sure that he is doing fine on his first day as an official retiree, something that we all guess he would not be and need some time to get used to. Having dedicated 3 decades of his working life to the same company, retiring is not just about finally getting time off for some well-deserving rest, it also means adjusting to life without the place and people he is so familiar with.

I am very grateful for the fact that his company and his colleagues, some like family to him, have given him a very warm and unforgettable farewell. Being in the limelight is not something my dad is used to, but departing on a high note does mean something to him. I know he is happy, and it touches me to see his zest as he spoke about his farewell party.

My Papa is a very special man, not just because obviously because he's my Papa. My Papa is very passionate about work yet not a workaholic - I have not known anyone in this 30-year life of mine who is so in love with his job but yet is able to withdraw from it once he knocks off. He is always placing himself behind the people he loves and he never scrimps when it comes to meeting our needs and wants. And he's one funny guy who is always high spirited, I have almost forgotten when was the last time I see him down. There is close to nothing more we can ask from him as a Papa/husband.

And so from this day on, I hope my Papa will be blessed with good health. Good health that allows him to enjoy the many many more good years to come. Good health to grow old together with Mama. Good health to see his 2 darling daughters entering the next phase of their lives as Mamas and good health to see his grandchildren growing up, going to school and entering college.

No comments: