Monday 20 September 2010

My friend, Shirley

Shirley is a friend very dear to me. She was my first friend in Sydney. I was feeling so alone after sending my mum off and I went down the hallway knocking on my neighbour's door, making new friends. She was the first to answer my door. It is strange how we didn't really have many common friends and we didn't hang out in a group but we managed to share a close relationship. In my first year in Sydney, we spent many many nights together. We bunked in my room on my inflatable mattress and in the morning, Shirley would grab her stuff running back to her room before Sasa the housekeeper do her rounds.

I haven't met Shirley since we left Sydney. Shirley is not into MSN, FB etc. We talk once in a blue moon but since she had her first baby, she hardly comes online. Few days ago, Shirley added me on Skype. She left me a voicemail. This morning, when I logged onto Skype, she gave me a ring. We spoke for the first time in years. It was brief, but it brought back many fond memories. There are not many people in this world who can bring back many dear memories and leave you in tears after a conversation. She did.

I am happy for Shirley that she found happiness. I am happy for Shirley that she is now a mummy. One day, I will visit Shirley and she will bring me to Tibet.

No comments: