Friday 10 September 2010

Education beyond education

Have been incredibly busy this week. We have been reaching home at 9pm almost every night and yes, my kitchen has been under utilized. After work, we will be at his dad's company, wait till business shuts for the day, shuttle them to-fro city and their farmhouse, then dinner at their place in town, help to do up dishes, engage in casual talks and there goes another day. And no, I am not complaining, I am just tired. I need to laze on my sofa and do nothing but stare blankly into space.


Had 2 students coming to me yesterday and we had a long and interesting chat. I don't think I am old enough to be giving substantial advices but I was glad to be able to share my views and thoughts about life, education etc. I was amazed by their maturity and forward thinking and it was a chat that left me food for thought.

Growing up in Singapore, life's kinda a breeze for many of us. To say that our society is a material driven one would be an obvious understatement. Education to most is a vehicle to the self-perceived ideal life. Not so much about our passion to learn, more so about how it could eventually lead us into an industry of our choice that would fetch us the money. It is not wrong. Most of us were brought up equating education to opportunities in life. We were told to excel in school. Of course, in a way, this mentality is common in Thailand. But given how things work here, education also means a loss of opportunities. In a society where social status is very much based on 1. wealth, 2. seniority, the more time is dedicated to education, the later you join the workforce, possibly will lead to a greater loss of opportunities.

In a purist society, education would be the answer to one's hunger for knowledge. It is interesting how different societies shape and give meaning to education and it is a shame how our lives are contrived by the very society we have created.

No comments: