Thursday 7 January 2010

Travel 101

And so, I am back in CM, back at work, and back to the evenings on our treadmill and nights of tv shows/ movies marathon.

Strangely, the withdrawal symptoms dissipated as soon as I landed. Still, Mdm is missing everyone back at home, hoping that I had spent more time with you guys, more time exploring the humongous and maze-like ION (and the huge oh so huge Sephora store), visited Somerset Central, 313 @ Somerset (and Marina Barrage!). Anyhoo, I did (and eat) so much this time round that I guess I shouldn't be complaining. Except for my favourite Boon Tong Kee, I ate almost all the dishes that I have missed so badly here. It was lots of good food down my throat for that 2 weeks.

I know I would be seeing my folks and MM soon, even though I am not quite sure when I would be making a trip back home. But with my new house at it's 75%, it shouldn't be long till I receive my Sg family and friends. Mdm was at a dinner with 2 ladies sitting next to me, both on each side. Miss X was like "Oh, what's there in Chiangmai? Don't you find the place boring? What can you do on weekends?". Miss Y on the other hand was full of praises. "I love Chiangmai" she said, and continued "I love the air... love the scenery...".

Seriously, if you are expecting Chiangmai to be like Bangkok, or Patong then you've got to take a big U-turn. I have had friends visiting this place and totally not enjoy it while I know many others who came, fell in love and stayed on. In short, Chiangmai is not where all the craze is. It's the place to be for the cultural experience, for it's eco-tourism and for its serenity.

Anyway, back to Miss X. I went like, "we watch movies, we shop, we drink coffee". So, what do you do in a cosmopolitan city like Singapore?

My folks and I met a Singaporean family in the hotel at Bangkok. The 30 plus lady started going on and on about her shopping experience. "Have you been to JJ market? Have you been to Suan Lum?". Some time ago, I read on a random Singaporean blog that the apparent best food in Bangkok is found in Fuji - a Japanese restaurant chain (which is equivalent to our Sakae-sushi). These people are missing so much. When you travel, remember not only to burn your pockets, but to open your eyes. See, feel and taste.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

No comments: