Monday 11 August 2008

We are not just small

What a swim
Tao Li came in 5th in 500m butterfly

Her time of 57.99 sec is slower than the time she clocked in the heats. Anyway, she's like the fifth fastest in the world in this event. HOW COOL IS THAT? I told P this morning that if Tao Li clinches a medal, I will treat him to dinner. Well, no treat tonight. But still, Mdm is proud!

We were having a birthday party in the office during lunch and my boss asked if Singapore has ever sent any altheles to the Olympic Games. We do. Ok, it was eons ago that Singapore ever won something in the Olympics but like I told P, the population in Singapore is a mere fraction of US (0.01%) and Thailand (0.06%). AND, Singapore just turned 43 last Saturday.

I am so used to hearing remarks that attribute our accomplishments to our petite size that it annoys me. Hey, we are not even in this list. Maldives gained their independance in the same year as Singapore and I am sure they don't own an airline that has got the largest market share in the world.

From Singapore’s success story a fact

"In the same issue of the magazine, under the title ‘A survey of talent’, Singapore’s education policy was explored. I quote: ‘One of the most successful schools at getting students into American Ivy League universities is Raffles Junior College in Singapore’.

And this is just one of their 17 junior colleges in Singapore. I was told by a friend who studied in UK that for the past many years, Cambridge and Oxford received the most students from a single country, Singapore, and not from where we would think, China or India."


So, what's the conclusion?

No comments: