Monday 12 May 2008

Yaya

Just this Yesterday afternoon, I met a group of visitors from China. And being the only person in the Graduate Building who can speak Mandarin, J brought them to me. We had a brief conversation and I was wrecking through my brain to translate my title ("Development Officer"), our office ("Office of Insitutional Advancement") and even simple words like "proposals", "grants" etc. It was so embarassing when I was searching for the right words and went "uh...uh.." while the whole bunch of them just stood staring at me. I was literally sweating after the session. I am pretty sure one of the reason I was offered the job was my ability to converse in Mandarin. China being a huge market and with the increasing number of Chinese students enrolling each year, the Management had hoped for us to tap into the Chinese market for philanthropic funds. I was even hoping to teach in the Chinese Department but I am having lots of self doubts right now.

Anyways, I had wanted to get home and make a list of the Mandarin terms that would come in handy in future. Naturally, I thought of getting help from Yaya. And then, the news of the big quake in Sichuan came. She hasnt been online for the whole of tonight yesterday night. I dunno where exactly in Chengdu she's living in but I am hoping that she's only being affected by the cut of communication lines. Yaya!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Hwai Yuet..

Just read your post. One thing you can do is to buy a translation dictionary. I used one in Australia when I took a translation module You can get one in Popular bookshop or somewhere in SG when you are back. It will help you with all the technical words

Vanessa said...

that seems to be the only way. but you know... i feel so ashame that i have to use a translation dictionary!!!

Unknown said...

Haha.. no lah.. when I was here.. even the taiwanese and china ppl also use dictionary.. because some of the terms are just too hard.. it will be great help..

no need to feel ashamed.. :)