Saturday 17 May 2008

Mdm & TCM

Indeed, Mdm was sneezing for the whole of yesterday and I woke up with an eye stye!!! It is still here, in fact, it sorta worsen today (got bigger, redder etc.). Mdm is now boiling some TCM that mummy had packed for me before I left and I hope that after this dosage of Cornu Antelopsis, the swell will subside.



I swear by this whenever I feel that my body is having some kind of a rebel, especially when I need to drain heat (I know... it's kindda auntie-ish). I remember searching for this the first few months I was in Sydney and a dosage costed me AUD 10, which was like twice more expensive than in Sg. Anyway, P doesnt really understand why am I drinking something that looks so horribly wrong, neither can he comprehend why am I popping 白凤丸 monthly. And I realised that my mummy's practices had subconsciously gotten into me! Oh NOOO!!! Am I becoming her? Am I becoming her? Am I becoming her??? *Echoes*

P brought the fax machine in our room to his office and we got a new phone last week. Check it out... it's sooo super duper cute!!!





And it comes in metallic pink too!

I got my insurance pass from the personnel office yesterday and as of 1 June 2008, I will be covered under the Social Security scheme. I was browsing through their website and I was totally amazed by its extent of coverage. I mean... this is Thailand! I wouldnt say the coverage is 1st class, but it is definitely on par with Singapore's standard, if not better. It is amazing how you can nominate any hospital, literally. And as long as their quota is not maxed up, you will get the hospital of your choice. Despite the low cost of living, medical expenses here are not cheap. The last time I went for a 5-minutes out-patient consultation, it costed SGD 30. Public hospitals are notorious for having long queues, long waiting time and bad services offered by medical trainees. Anyways, I suspect less than 10% of the population is under the Social Security scheme and hence the human flood in public hospitals.

And how this Social Security scheme works is kindda like the CPF scheme in Sg. It gets 4% from your monthly salary but you get 100% medical coverage at your nominated hospital for out-patient consultations and hospitalisation for a hell lot of illness and services. And then you get to withdraw this 4% upon leaving your job (after 15 months of service at least, in full amount plus interest). You dont have to wait till you are 55!!! If you are in service for 15 years (as in contributing this 4% for 15 years) when you retire at 55, you will get monthly allowance from the Government and medical coverages. I have to check out the details of this scheme cos it sounds too amazing to be true.

Anyway, I was discussing this with P yesterday but he didnt seem equally amaze. One thing was he's highly skeptical cos he's darn sure claims cant be made when the time arises for one to be done. And... he was kindda like... "Huh? You going to work at Payap till you retire? What about my hotel?". LOL.

No comments: