Thursday 21 February 2008

Restaurant reviews

P and I went to this restaurant with a very nice setting last Saturday. I doubt places like these exist in Singapore. The closest to it is a now defunct restaurant in Punggol, this restaurant on stilts that my family visited when I was very very young and before Punggol was a concrete jungle.

The restaurant P and I went to was located about 20 minutes away from the city. The setting is forest-like and they didnt even spare the loo! Check out the taps. There's this mini meandering "river" bordering the restaurant compound and it leads to this huge water body that is the size of... hmm, one third little Guilin? Some international school booked part of the restaurant for a function (we supposed it shld be prom) and on our way out of the restaurant, these students were happily sashaying. It's quite amusing. And then I recalled I havent attended ANY prom in my life!!! Damn.







Sundays are usually days for sleeping in and Macdonald delivery. Anywayz, last Sunday wasnt cos there was some sort of community work P had to attend to near his market. This head monk of a temple near his market passed away and P (in the name of the company) donated some food to the temple. I promise this is a scene that we have not seen in our entire life. Apparently, when some big shots of a temple die, there would be a big woohaa and on the day that the body is to be cremated, there would be a big fair. People in the vicinity would flood the fair. It's amazing. The temple would have already garner support of some local enterprises for their donation. So, people who have kindly agreed to donate would set up stalls under the tent and then start distributing food to those who are there to attend the ceremony. I believe some people are there just for the food though. Anywayz, P got his staff to prepare some local food and drinks and we started distributing at like 11am. People just flocked over and some even brought their own plastic bags. It was actually quite chaotic.

I was telling P that kiasu-ism doesnt seem uniquely Singaporean. Come to think of it, it still gives more sense for people here to be kiasu. The food distributed might be enough to provide them for days (considering they could have flocked to every single stall for food). Those getting food aint thais you meet in the city and life probably is hard. Something you get to observe if you've been here long enough is the income and wealth disparity. I have been so lazy since I arrived that I have totally forgotten my mission. =.=''

Ok... back to food (getting kinda non-sequential in emotions here). We went to this new hyper market after the fair and guess what, Sakae Sushi is here!!!

Look at the cups, menus and interior deco. Everything's so familiar!!!





Even the food is. Just like the Sakae's food quality in Singapore, it sucked!!! Arggghhh. And food's considerably expensive. A normal plate on the sushi train cost 29 baht (which is like S$1.20). I am not doing to eat there ever again!!! Pui~

Check out this for quality japanese food. The sashimi is superb.

No comments: